Friday, March 4, 2011

Who's Land is it Anyways?

Today in my Themes in Australian History class (taught my a Scottish-Australian by the way) we discussed the rightful owners of the land called Oz.  I do not wish to generalize, but it is politically correct to say that some Aboriginals believe that the land was and always will belong to the Aboriginals.  The clashes between white settlers and Aboriginals is almost inevitable because each views the land so differently from the other.  For example, above is a map depicting Australia broken up into states, and below is a map broken up into tribes:


Also, I have previously stated that the terms Aboriginal and Indigenous are interchangeable.  While this statement is true, it is not politically correct to call Aboriginals Indigenous, as it offends certain tribes, so from here on out I will be referring to them strictly as Aboriginals.

No comments:

Post a Comment